First Thoughts

I have started my new web blog here on blogger.com and am unsure of what to write about. I guess when the professor gives me a subject to write about I will try my best to come up with something to say. Hopefully something that makes sense and covers the subject matter in some relevant detail. Iam not a good writer and this is something I would like to improve on and so I will probably purchase a book from the Dummies series on writing for Dummies or something like that. Hopefully that will help me improve my writing ability and content creation.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"Introducing Media Studies
Zuiddan Saudav(1994)

Three terms I found while reading this essay of Zuiddan Saudav are the focus of this web blog today.

I looked up the term Gatekeeping and found a wikki on the term. It states that Gatekeeping in the process through which information is filtered for dissemination, whether for publication, broadcasting, the internet, or some other mode of communication.

I found two quotes about Gatekeepers. One states," The internet has really democratized ideas. There are no real gatekeepers anymore, because if you have a great idea, and you put it online, people will find it and it will get in front of who it needs to get in front of. "(Justin Halpem)

The second quote was written by Anthony J. D'Angelo "Always be nice to secretaries. They are the real gatekeepers in the world." The third quote is from Ray William Johnson "One of the amazing things about the internet is that the content creators are the gatekeepers.We think of an idea and execute it quickly, and we didn't have to pitch the idea to a major network or convince a studio head to sign off on the concept."

The second term I found in the essay was synergy. Synergy a state in which two or more things work together in a particular fruitful way that produces an effect greater than the sum of their individual effects. "The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" Aristotle

I found another quote for synergy which brings the meaning to life. "Teamwork makes the dream work" Bang Gae


The third term which interested me was Mega-conglomeration. Mega-conglomeration is a corporation that is made up of a number of different, seemingly unrelated businesses. In a conglomerate, one large company owns a controlling stake in a number of smaller companies, which conduct business separately. Each of a conglomerate's subsidiary businesses runs independently of the other business divisions, but the subsidiaries' management reports to senior management at the parent company.

I found this quote about conglomerates: "Global conglomerates can at times have a progressive impact on culture, especially when they enter nations that had been tightly controlled by corrupt crony media systems(as in much of Latin America) or nations that had significant state censorship over media(as in parts of Asia). The global commercial-media system is radical in that it will respect no tradition or custom, on balance, if it stands in the way of profits. But ultimately it is politically conservative, because the media giants are significant beneficiaries of the current social structure around the world, and any upheaval in property or social relations-particularly to the extent that it reduces the power of business-is not in their interest." Robert W. McChesmey The new Global Media; Its a Small World of Big Conglomerates. The Nation Magazine. November 29th, 1999

The second quote on conglomerates was written by Rifka Rosenwein "Having a few huge corporations control our outlets of expression could lead to less aggressive news coverage and more muted marketplace of ideas" Why Media Mergers Matter, Brills Content, December 1999.

Sources and Refrences: www.businessdictionary.com/definition/synergy.html
www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/synergy, www.brainyQuote.com/quotes/keyword/gatekeepers.html ,
www.globalissues.org/article/159/media-conglomerate , Investopedia.com/terms/c/conglomerate.asp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatekeeping_(Communication), www.globalissues.org/article/159/media-conglomerates-mergers-concentration-of-ownership

No comments:

Post a Comment