Johnny Bunko
written by Daniel H. Pink
The narrative story of Johnny Bunko is about learning to find your place in the world and to find yourself and how you can make a difference in your life by making a difference in the lives of people you come in contact with everyday. I like the story as Daniel Pink has written it and would not change a thing about. The way he has used a fairytale genie to use her magic and knowledge of the world to teach Johnny and his friends lessons in life is a perfect way to show how all of us are trying to find ourselves and our place in the world.
I think the fourth lesson in the book (Persistence trumps talent) has been a part of my whole life and everything that Ive attempted to learn in the world. I started taking photo's when I was given a camera for my Highschool graduation present from my parents. I had to learn on my own because getting lessons would be expensive and I was going to go to college in the fall and wanted to learn the camera on my own. The next several years of my photography self education through professional tips from their books which I purchased helped me understand the basics of photography.
I would get better with my photography by being persistent and having patience in my photography shot selection. I was able to start to find my own style of photography and capture nature the way I wanted to present it to the public. The first lesson in Johnny Bunko was that there is no plan. The question posed to johnny when he first was interviewed for the job was Where do you see yourself in five years? I would answer this question by saying that I want to be a expert in studio production work and a top remote assignment camera man.
The second lesson is think strengths not weaknesses. The question is what are your strenghths? I think my strenghts are persistence, hard work, enthusiasim for learning new things and perserverence.
The next lesson in the Johnny Bunko story is its not about you. The question I get out of this lesson is who do you serve? I think in any career you have to be a team player and keep your eye's and ears open for opportunities to help the company or the team whithin the company which will improve its success. The fourth lesson in the Johnny Bunko saga is persistence trumps talent. In my first paragraph of this paper I liked this lesson because it leaves a possibility that your enthusiasm will be just as important even though you may not be an expert in your profession, you still may have a brilliant idea which could help your fellow coworkers.
The fifth lesson in the Johnny bunko saga is to make excellent mistakes. Johnny did not make an excellent mistake at first because his first idea was a failure. He wanted to make tennis shoes which carried around seeds for trees to be distributed as people walked from place to place but johnny did not factor in the cons of the idea. He didn't realize that just walking around you would drop the seeds anywhere but not in the right places for the seeds to be burried in the ground to grow. Diana the genie who was trying to teach him these lessons thought he made an excellent mistake with the shoes because he wasnt afraid to take risks because he wasnt trying to avoid failure by not tring something new.
The sixth lesson is leave an imprint which means to leave something behind which has made an impression on your company or fellow workers to follow after you have moved on to a better job or a different career. The question the pose is did i make a difference. I think that all the jobs Ive had and the people Ive worked with that my positive attitude has made a difference to the people Ive worked with down through the years.
The question I ask to people from my first paragraph is Why does persistence trump talent?
No comments:
Post a Comment